Some contest the story of the origin of mehendi, while some are suspicious as to where it came from. Regardless, henna takes on a different role in different cultures around the world. While it is supposedly a remnant of the Mughal era, it remains to be noted whether the Persian influence was stronger than those closer home. Nevertheless, mehendi has carved itself a special niche in the hearts of young women across the country. Apart from weddings, women often sport the pretty, intricate designs on their hands and feet during festivals, be it Diwali or Karva Chauth. The darker the stain, the longer it lasts and the more striking it looks!
For brides, though, mehendi holds a non-negotiable place in the wedding ceremonies. The hands and feet of a bride are painted with henna, which then dries off and is washed away. A common North Indian tradition has the name of the groom written on the bride’s palm, hidden by the intricate floral and ivy designs. While mehendi designs today have evolved from simple dots and circles to a labyrinthe of flowers and Persian motifs, there are some designs that are just worth dying for! Check out these mehndi designs that are so drool worthy, you’d want to copy these on to your own palms!
1. Photograph by Anupa Shah
2. SZ Photo Films
3. Photograph by Avnish Dhoundiyal
4. Photograph by Chetan Saini PhotoArt
5. Photograph by Cupcake Productions
6. Photograph by Coolbluez Photography
7. Photograph by DotDusk Studios
8. Photograph by My Visual Artistry
9. Photograph by Our Wedding Chapter
10. Photograph by Vaijayanti Varma Photography
11. Photograph by Two Fireflies – One Camera
12. Photograph by Two Fireflies – One Camera
13. Photograph by Karan Sidhu Photography
14. Photograph by Prism Lens Photography
15. Photograph by Shailesh Aparna Photography
16. Photograph by The Cheesecake Project
17. Photograph by Two Fireflies - One Camera
18. Photograph by My Visual Artistry
19. Photograph by Karan Sidhu Photography
20. Photograph by Vaijayanti Varma Photography
21. Photograph by The Cheesecake Project
20+ gorgeous mehendi designs that will absolutely blow your mind!